Saturday, December 3, 2011

Forrest Gump Essay - the Driven Life



Like any other students of my age, I have a great ambition. I dream of using my studies for the society and for myself, and sometimes I dream of achieving things that nobody was able to achieve before. Although this ambition is something that drives me forward in my life, it is also a thing that makes me very agitated when things go out of my hand. Yet sometimes I do feel that I want to put everything to destiny, and instead of being anxious about what will happen in the future, just think of it as a box of chocolate.

Forrest Gump, both in the movie and in the book, looked at the world with the extreme optimism. In fact, his whole life is filled with luck. He has achieved many things that awes the audience / readers, but most of them are not intended by him. Even after his achievement, Forrest either does not realize the importance of his work or sometimes does not realize his achievement at all. Although this makes the whole story funny and heartwarming, because it is so unrealistic, Forrest did not made me jealous. Although his achievements are something that I would like to achieve in my life, I also know that the time one really feels good about achieving something is not when the achievement itself is a great thing, but when one has spent time and effort in planning and working for the achievement.

In that aspect, it was not his achievement but his love that made a big impression in the story. Ironically, it was one thing that Forrest did not achieve fully in his life, and it was one of the few things that he craved in his life. Although his time with Jenny was short and incomplete, through his love with Jenny Forrest was able to seek the meaning in his life. Although Jenny did hurt Forrest in many ways, she was also a motivation for Forrest and many deeds that Forrest did. She has made Forrest mature and grow, break the shell; hence when she left the world, Forrest could continue living with his son.

The story of Forrest is intriguing. However, it is not because Forrest has been living such a lucky life for a man with such a low IQ, nor is it because Forrest has been strikingly optimistic about everything in his life. It is because through the unrealistic story of Forrest we can see the reality, the reality where people are kept driven by their dream, no matter how many times they fail.





No comments:

Post a Comment